Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mothering

Parenting is a really difficult thing for any parent.  That said, I think there are a few reasons that mothering is especially difficult.

There is so much extra expectation and judgment placed on mothers.  I was thinking about this first when someone mentioned to me that when people see a single mom they often assume she is stuck in that situation unwillingly but if they see a single dad he is viewed as making a positive choice.

I often hear all or most moms I encounter dismayed at how they aren’t living up to another mom they know, or some imaginary ideal they have.  Why is it that we expect so much, or so much more, out of mothers?  I have no answer for this, but I do want to reassure myself and all my fellow moms – if your kids are alive and well, if you are doing the best you can…then you are a great mom.

Moms – it’s ok if your kid watched an extra television program today, if they only at one vegetable at dinner, if you didn’t have the exact right answer to their question, if you ran out of patience, if you didn’t make organic baby food or if you used disposable diapers.  Trust me - your kid is doing great.

No comments:

Post a Comment